Traveling solo is such a rewarding experience and that is why I want everyone to try it.
I created my top 5 reasons why you should travel alone.
1. You are in complete control of your own trip. You plan your own itinerary and then you can change it along the way. You can’t just change the itinerary if your with a friend or with a group. You would usually need everyone’s approval and some may not like your play so as a result, you would not get a chance to see what you want to see or get the chance to eat what you want to eat. Going alone will give you the freedom to do what you want and you can try something new everyday without having to beg a travel companion into doing it too.
2. You will meet a lot of new people whether they’re locals or from another side of the world. Getting to know new people is fun and at the same time you’ll learn new things about different lifestyles and cultures. What I personally like about meeting new people is that it helps me learn new things such as new skills, new languages, and helps me see different view points in life.
3. You will learn a lot about yourself. Going alone is an adventure that you will never forget because you’ll do things that you thought you couldn’t do. For instance, being more spontaneous when opportunities arise. When I went to Playa Del Carmen, someone recommended me to go sky diving. I was contemplating of doing it or not. I was afraid of heights and at that time I wanted to overcome my fear so I eventually did it. It was that moment when I was being spontaneous and was willing to try something new. Overcoming the fear of heights can be emotionally, mentally, and physically challenging. I am proud of myself that I have finally conquer my fear of heights. Now I can go zip lining in Costa Rica or go paragliding in Panajachel!
4. You can accept last minute offer. Since you’re traveling alone, you’ll most likely get several offers from your fellow travelers and locals whether you join them for dinner or play volleyball by the beach. Was perfect about traveling alone is that you don’t have a set plan. You just go with the flow and see what happens. Most of my memorable adventures were unplanned and mainly were last minute offer like going on an atv and horseback riding by the beach at night.
5. You get to observe your inner self and your surroundings more. The perks of being alone is that you tend to have more “me time” and more time for self reflection. This can probably happen when you’re sitting alone drinking tea or maybe when your sitting alone at the beach just looking at the water. You observe your new surroundings and will result in all kinds of interesting insights about yourself and about the world around you.